Sunday, November 23, 2014

Valentín, un pichón de amor

While I was writing my answers to the guía for class, I came across a question that puzzled me. It said, “¿Cuál es el significado del nombre de Valentín?” It took me a while to think of an answer because while I was watching the movie, I did not make a connection between Rodrigo Noya (Valentín) and the actual San Valentín. Culturally, San Valentín is known to be a romantic who would carry a bow and arrows of love and would help people fall in love with each other. At first, I did not see this Valentín in the film, but as I write these words down, it finally makes sense to me.
            When I first watched the film, I thought that Valentín was a boy trying to make sense of the world around him. His parents were separated, his grandfather had passed, and all he wanted was a real family. There were many people that were in his life, but the one that mattered most was his abuela. She told him everything about anything, and she wasn’t afraid to share her opinion. I believe that’s when I started noticing the second time I watched the film that Valentín’s intentions for a real family showed a major representation to his name.
            There are many examples where he tries to keep loved ones together. A major example was between his father and Leticia. Valentín complains about how his father can never keep a woman around because he is not a loving person. However Valentín is such a strong believer in love that he knows that Leticia is the woman for his father and the mother that he always wanted. In the end it doesn’t work out, but he ends up creating his own family between Leticia and Rufo. He never gives up.
            Above is the final scene from the film. I loved this scene the most, not only because of the music or Valentín’s charming ways. It shows how Valentín was able to still believe in love after everything that he went through. This is the scene that helped me realize that his name really did represent San Valentín because of his romantic personality and his desire to spread the love to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment